Friday 6 August 2010

Banana bread

I went a little banana mad recently. I didn't make all of these in one go but as I have been a bit behind with my blogging, I thought I'd do a little banana series.  I have to admit I sometimes buy bananas and allow them to ripen with the intention of making cake or bread!
This is one of my favourite recipe to use whenever I have over-ripe bananas. It's really easy to make - no KitchenAid required and works everytime.  I love the combination of banana and honey. Simple and delicious.

butter mixture
banana mixture 

ready to go in the oven

fresh from the oven


100g butter
225g self raising flour
100g golden caster sugar
3 ripe bananas
2 eggs
6 tablespoons clear honey


  • Preheat oven to 180 C.
  • Lightly butter a 900g/2lb loaf tin and line base with parchment paper.
  • Sift the flour into a bowl and using your fingertips, rub in the butter until the mixture resembles breadcrumbs.
  • Stir the sugar into the flour mixture.
  • Peel and mash the bananas and tip into the bowl with the eggs and honey.
  • Beat well until evenly combined
  • Transfer into prepared tin and bake for 1¼ hours or until golden brown and a fine skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean.
  • Cover loosely with foil if it begins to brown too much.

1 comment:

  1. I'm glad you went banana mad too; I've had a touch of it too! Banana bread/cake/anything is a big favourite of mine..so now let me go comment crazy on your successive banana posts ;D

    This looks so moist and divine! Can't wait to try it and report back to you. Need to get some ripe bananas ASAP

    ReplyDelete

I've had to turn word verification back on as I've had a lot of problem with spam lately, Apologies! Please, please do leave a comment - I appreciate every one of them and will reply to all of them. Thanks!