Saturday 21 May 2011

Banana and yoghurt cake


I bake a lot with bananas as you can see from my blog. This is the best banana recipe I've tried so far and probably the simplest to make as well.  As usual I had a lot of over ripe bananas to use up but I also had 3 large tubs of yoghurt in the fridge (I wanted to make smoothies with the yoghurt but never got round to it). So I googled banana and yoghurt recipes and came up with this gem. It's really light and moist with a good strong banana flavour and a hint of cinnamon.

 mix all the ingredients together 

I made 1 loaf...

 ... and a large tray as I doubled the recipe


120ml sunflower oil
225g light muscovado sugar
3 large eggs
225g self-raising flour
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
2 ripe bananas
150ml low fat natural yoghurt

  • Preheat the oven to 180C. 
  • Grease and line a 900g loaf tin. 
  • Pour the oil into a large bowl.
  • Add the sugar and whisk for a few minutes.
  • Add the eggs one by one, whisking as you go. 
  • Stir in the flour and cinnamon. 
  • Peel and mash the bananas in a separate bowl. 
  • Add the mashed bananas and yoghurt into the cake mixture and mix well with a wooden spoon. 
  • Pour into the prepared tin.
  • Bake for 1 hour or until cake is well risen and golden. 
  • Leave to cool in the tin then turn out onto a wire rack to cool completely. 


5 comments:

  1. I would love it...not only because it has to be a moist cake, but also because it's not too high in sugar but also because I love anything with bananas and cinnamon! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry I accidentally hit the anonymous button on the above comment. I clicked the anonymous button by mistake.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That sounds delicious- I love the idea of adding lots of yoghurt, it must of meant a super-moist cake

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yum. I love any cake with yoghurt - I think it's the way it makes the texture so light and soft

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so amazing at what I saw on your blog,was searching for a nice site where I can get Banana and Yogurt cake for my cousin's birthday. Your Banana and Yogurt cake looks attractive and adorable .
    I will like to you to bake a cake for my cousin's birthday that is coming up next month

    ReplyDelete

I've had to turn word verification back on as I've had a lot of problem with spam lately, Apologies! Please, please do leave a comment - I appreciate every one of them and will reply to all of them. Thanks!