Tuesday 6 December 2011

Mini Custard Pots


I had 4 egg yolks leftover from making these peanut butter chip pillows recently. I was debating what to do with them so I sent out a tweet asking for suggestions which did not include custard and got the following replies: lemon curd, lemon meringue, meringue pie/tart and golden cake (thank you to those who replied)

What did I end up making? Custard which I did not want to make initially but I honestly just couldn't resist having seen them on Laura's blog and tweets. I had to wait another day to make them as I didn't have any cream in the house so the anticipation had been building up and they were well worth it.

I made a few different flavours - vanilla, lemon, lemon and honey, coffee and chocolate. My favourite was the coffee one which was a surprise as I don't drink coffee but then again I do like coffee based desserts. Surprisingly, the chocolate ones were my least favourite.

These custard pots are really smooth and silky and taste much better chilled. Writing this post makes me wish I still have some in the fridge!


 first time baking in a bain marie

 forgot to take a picture until it was almost all gone! 

 my favourite coffee one - tastes much better than it looks! 

Recipe adapted from cakeandfeminism 

4 egg yolks (you can also use whole eggs)
140g golden caster sugar
300ml double cream
300ml whole milk

Flavour variations
For vanilla - add 1 teaspoon vanilla essence or 1/2 vanilla pod (for 2 ramekins) 
For lemon - add 1 teaspoon grated lemon zest and 1-2 teaspoons of fresh lemon juice (to taste)
For honey and lemon - add 1 teaspoon grated lemon zest and 1 teaspoon honey
For coffee - add 1 teaspoon instant coffee dissolved in 1 tablespoon of hot water
For chocolate - add a few chunks of melted chocolate

  • Preheat oven to 150C. 
  • Whisk egg yolks and sugar in a large bowl.
  • Bring the cream and milk to a boil in a large saucepan. 
  • Pour onto the egg mixture, whisking throughout. 
  • Pour the custard into ramekin dishes. 
  • Add flavours as suggested above.
  • Sprinkle ground nutmeg or cocoa powder on top depending on flavour used. 
  • Bake for 1 hour in the centre of the oven. 
  • It should be set around the edges but still have a wobble in the middle. 
  • Allow to cool then place in the fridge.
  • Best eaten chilled.


9 comments:

  1. I love custards and these look amazing:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum yum yum! So glad you enjoyed them :-) x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome, what a lovely idea and they look so adorable!:D

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really like the Coffee custard :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love making custard, although it can separate really easily, as I found out to my dismay one day. Never tried it like this - isn't this like a crême brulée without the crispy top?

    ReplyDelete
  6. They look excellent although I'm strangely drawn to the lemon flavour rather than the coffee. Perhaps it reminds me of summer.

    ReplyDelete
  7. gloria - thanks

    Laura - thanks for the inspiration :)

    Christy - they really are adorable :)

    Cookie sleuth - thanks, I couldnt think of anything else.

    nevertoosweetforme - the coffee really was my favourite

    Charles - It is like a creme brulee without the crispy top - im sure I could add sugar and caramelise it to make it a creme brulee!

    Phil - the lemon was really good too, I was really surprised by the coffee one.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Amazing post. Thanks for sharing with us. I would like to share information about the Website Development Company in Pune, Mumbai | Hire Wordpress and PHP developers. When it comes to website development in Pune and Mumbai, this distinguished company stands out as a premier choice for businesses seeking to establish a strong online presence. With a team of highly skilled and creative WordPress and PHP developers, they offer top-notch web solutions that cater to a diverse range of industries.

    ReplyDelete

I've had to turn word verification back on as I've had a lot of problem with spam lately, Apologies! Please, please do leave a comment - I appreciate every one of them and will reply to all of them. Thanks!