Wednesday 20 February 2013

Pistachio, Yoghurt and Elderflower Cake


I can't believe the end of Feb is fast approaching and I've not made anything for AlphaBakes yet. If  you haven't then you still have time as the deadline is Feb 25th. The letter this month is E which had me scratching my head for ideas.  One of them was elderflower and when I googled elderflower cake, a Jamie Oliver recipe came up which sounded great so I decided to give it a go. Unfortunately I burnt the cake as I'm still getting used to my new oven! Luckily icing hides all manner of sins and the cake still tasted great. It's really moist with a nutty flavour and it paired well with the yoghurt icing. I'm definitely making this again! 

As mentioned I'm entering this to AlphaBakes, a monthly blogging challenge that I am hosting this month and will be hosted next month by Caroline from Caroline Makes. There's a lovely prize up for grabs this month so do send in your entries if you haven't already done so.




 elderflower cordial, honey, greek yoghurt, pistachips, lemon, butter and ground almonds 

 adding in the pistachios - such a lovely colour! 

 ready to go in the oven

 slightly burnt...opps!

 cover with icing! 

 yum! 


12 comments:

  1. I have not incorporated elderflower in my cake baking before. This combination sounds very floral and beautiful to me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The elderflower flavour was very mild but the flavours all worked well together here. Definitely one for the summer :)

      Delete
  2. Looks very tasty. I haven't managed an 'E' bake yet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! There's always next month... another difficult letter coming up!

      Delete
  3. I've been there with a icing disguise too- and also have been known to cut out the centre of cakes that aren't properly cooked through/sunk in the middle and called them bundt cakes! What a gorgeous sounding flavour combination!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great idea with the bundt cakes! I've made cake pops previously when the cakes didn't turn out but it was quite time consuming.

      Delete
  4. I love elderflower and pistachios, so I wouldn't let a little bit of caramelisation worry me. It looks lovely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Phil! Luckily the cake tasted fine - no burnt taste :)

      Delete
  5. You could have got away with that and we'd never have known. I'm glad you came clean though - nice to know that others have mishaps sometimes too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am forever making mistakes with my bakes but most of the time they can be saved or disguised. Phew!

      Delete
  6. New ovens are a pain to get used to, but the cake still looks really good. Hope you're settling in well with the new job :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are a pain and I'm still not used to this one - its either too hot or not hot enough! New job is going well - lots of opportunities to bake to make new friends :)

      Delete

I've had to turn word verification back on as I've had a lot of problem with spam lately, Apologies! Please, please do leave a comment - I appreciate every one of them and will reply to all of them. Thanks!