Saturday 17 May 2014

Wensleydale and Apricot & Apple Cake



I baked this for J's work colleagues and it was very well received. I've made the same cake using Wensleydale & cranberry cheese previously but I saw the apricot version and decided to give it a go. We debated about pears or apples and decided to go with apples which worked beautifully. The cake is incredibly light and the crispy cheese bits are delicious! It was a good combination of sweet and salty. 




 The star ingredient

 adding in the crumbled cheese

 sprinkle some demerara sugar on top before baking

 

 you can see the light and soft crumb texture here



Recipe from Wensleydale Creamery

150g butter
175g golden caster sugar
2 eggs, beaten
2 tbsp milk
175g self raising flour
2 apples – peeled, cored & sliced + 1/2 apple for the topping
125g Real Yorkshire Wensleydale Cheese with Apricots
1 tbsp Demerara Sugar


  • Preheat the oven to 170C.
  • Grease a 20cm / 8" cake tin.
  • Cream the butter and sugar until pale and fluffy
  • Add the eggs one at a time, then beat in the milk and flour.
  • Fold in the apples and crumble over the cheese.
  • Spoon the mixture into a tin.
  • Arrange the apple slices (from approx 1/2 an apple - depends on your cake tin size) on top and sprinkle with Demerara sugar.
  • Bake for 55 minutes until risen and golden brown.
  • Leave to cool in the tin.

3 comments:

  1. I've never made a sponge-type cake with cheese before. It's a great idea, but I guess you have to pick the right cheese? Wensleydale with apricot is one of my favourites and I bet it tastes great! Bookmarked!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wensleydale cheese is perfect for this and it comes in different flavours. I really like the sweet and salty combination that you get with this cake.

      Delete
  2. I like website , by the way ,i hope like the perfect watches , go this website to have a look bab. Now i need to my bolg, you can play game fun, action
    friv games 4
    friv 6 jogos
    friv 5 games
    friv 10

    ReplyDelete

I've had to turn word verification back on as I've had a lot of problem with spam lately, Apologies! Please, please do leave a comment - I appreciate every one of them and will reply to all of them. Thanks!