Sunday 18 January 2015

Toffee Apple Cake


This cake came about because I wanted to make use of ingredients in my kitchen. I had initially planned to make toffee apple bites for my afternoon tea party but ran out of time. I started thinking about how I could incorporate toffees and apples into a cake. I found a recipe by Paul Hollywood online which looked really simple - just mix and bake. I doubled the recipe quantity as I wanted to use my large bundt tin and adding in a handful of extra toffees in the cake and a few more on top before baking. I debated about making a toffee sauce which would go well with the cake. 

The cake was really delicious. I love the combination of apples and toffees and that's exactly what you get with this cake. There's not many additions to mask the flavours and the melted toffee bits were my favourite. 

I'm sending this to the No Waste Food Challenge hosted by Elizabeth from Elizabeth's Kitchen Diary. I had a spare pack of toffees and some apples leftover which I used for this recipe.




 wet ingredients and dry ingredients - just mix together and add in the apples and toffees 

 adding chopped apples and toffee pieces (I didn't cut them as the recipe suggested) 

 I added some extra toffees on top before baking

 You can still see the apple chunks 


Recipe is from BBC Food from Paul Hollywood's Pies and Puds

The only change I made was to double the quantities which was perfect for my bundt tin and to add in more toffee pieces.


11 comments:

  1. Oooh I'm loving the sound of this! Pass us a slice please! :D What a super way to use up leftover toffees and apples past their best - thank you for linking up with the #nowastefoodchallenge!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a really tasty treat and definitely a good way to use up leftovers!

      Delete
  2. I would love this cake with custard, perfect comfort food x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this cake especially the toffes inside!
    Im sure is amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. oooh, was the toffee soft or hard? Would I need to take my dentures out? Love the combo of toffee and apple, very nice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The toffees melted in the cake so it was quite soft and absolutely delicious. Pairs really well with apple as you say.

      Delete
  5. Yum, it sounds very tasty, toffee apple in a cake!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mmmm toffee apple cake. Perfect flavour combination.

    ReplyDelete

I've had to turn word verification back on as I've had a lot of problem with spam lately, Apologies! Please, please do leave a comment - I appreciate every one of them and will reply to all of them. Thanks!