Saturday 12 December 2015

Nutella Nanaimo Bars



This month's AlphaBakes is the letter 'N'. I started thinking about 'N' recipes and decided on Nutella which I love.  I've baked a lot with Nutella and wanted something a little different so when I came across these Nutella Nanaimo bars, I knew I had to make it immediately. I've seen Nanaimo bars on the blogosphere but have never made it myself. It's a no bake dessert bar named after the west coast city of Nanaimo in British Columbia. It usually has a wafer crumb base layer topped with a layer of custard flavoured butter icing and covered with melted chocolate. These of course contain nutella and have an Oreo cookie base. It's sweet and buttery and nutty and oh so naughty. One compliment I received was that "these taste like little explosions of heaven in your mouth". It's perfect for the upcoming festive season as it's quick and easy to make and you can make them in advance. 

I'm sending this to AlphaBakes hosted by Caroline from Caroline Makes and co hosted by myself on alternate months. The letter this month is "N" and I hope I get bonus points for my double N entry ;) 




 making the biscuit base 

 adding lots of lovely Nutella 

 cooked biscuit base 

 Nutella layer 

 add melted chocolate 

 ready to eat 

Recipe adapted from Sweet Twist of Blogging

For the base
2 packs of Oreo double stuff cookies (or regular oreo cookies)
60g caster sugar
50g cocoa powder
115g butter, melted
1 egg
1 teaspoon vanilla extract 
[I wanted to add some chopped hazelnuts but didn't have any in the cupboard]

For the filling
40g butter
110g icing sugar
300g Nutella
1 tablespoon double cream
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

For the topping
140g dark chocolate
10g butter

  • Preheat the oven to 180C.
  • Grease and line a square baking tin. 
  • Place the Oreo cookies in a food processor and blitz until it resembles breadcrumbs.
  • Place in a large bowl and add in the remaining ingredients.
  • Mix well then pour into a square tin.
  • Press down gently and level the top. 
  • Bake for approximately 15 minutes.
  • Allow to cool. 
  • To make the filling, beat the butter and icing sugar until it forms a paste.
  • Add in the Nutella, cream and vanilla extract and mix.
  • Pour onto the cooled base and level with a spatula. 
  • Place in the fridge to chill.
  • Place the chocolate and butter in a bowl over a pan of simmering water.
  • Stir occasionally and once fully melted, remove from the heat.
  • Pour the melted chocolate on top of the chilled filling, tilting from side to side to get an even coating.
  • Cover and chill for a few hours before serving.






9 comments:

  1. What delicious nutella bars :) :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks an excellent variation on the traditional Nanaimo Bars - not sure the Canadians would approve, but nevermind!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha I don't think they'd approve either but it tastes great!

      Delete
  3. Can't believe I still haven't had a nanaimo bar - love your addition of nutella

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't either and I know this is not the real thing so technically I've not tried a nanaimo bar!

      Delete
  4. Ooo these look so naughty, in a good way!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, these look like they would taste amazing - just the thing for a Christmas treat! Thanks for sharing with Alphabakes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They were absolutely delicious and very addictive!

      Delete

I've had to turn word verification back on as I've had a lot of problem with spam lately, Apologies! Please, please do leave a comment - I appreciate every one of them and will reply to all of them. Thanks!